CLAT 2020 – Common Law Admission Test is going to be conducted by the National Law University Consortium of NLUs. CLAT 2020 exam to be held on May 24, 2020 (Sunday). The national level law exam will be held online and for 22 NLUs including Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur (MPDNLU). The admission notification for Common Law Admission Test has been announced by Consortium of NLUs in November 2019. This will further be followed by the application process which will start from January 1, 2020. The detailed notification of CLAT 2020 exam has been announced in the end part of November 21, 2019. CLAT is conducted every year to offer admission to aspiring candidates in the undergraduate as well as post-graduate law programmes in the participating National Law Universities of the Core Committee of CLAT. Apart from NLUs, the CLAT scores will be accepted by more than 25 private law schools for their BA LLB, BBA LLB, B.Com LLB BSc LLB, and LLM programmes.
CLAT 2020 Important Dates Highlights
Candidates must keep a note of the important dates mentioned herein below:
|CLAT 2020 Events||Important Dates (Tentative)|
|CLAT 2020 online Registration of Application Form||1st January 2020|
|Last date of Registration/Application Form||25th April 2020|
|CLAT Admit Card to be Available||1st or 2nd week of May 2020|
|CLAT 2020 Exam Date||24th May 2020 (3:00 PM)|
|CLAT Answer Key Release||25th May 2020|
|CLAT 2020 Result to be declared||31st May to 10th June 2020|
|CLAT 2020 Merit List||11th June 2020|
|CLAT Counselling Date||11th to 14th June 2020|
CLAT 2020 Application Form
The application form for CLAT 2020 has been released in the official website from 1st January 2020. Candidates will be allowed to fill up the application form online. To apply for the application form, candidates will have to register themselves till 25th April 2020. They will have to provide details like their Name, E-mail ID, and Mobile Number (a valid one). Once the registration is done, a Registration Number and Password will be provided to them.
CLAT Eligibility Criteria
Candidates would need to fulfill the eligibility criteria approved by the exam organizing authority. However, they also need to know that the eligibility criteria for Undergraduate (UG) and Postgraduate (PG) programmes are different.
Eligibility Criteria: CLAT 2020 UG
- Candidates, who come under categories like General / OBC / Special Abled Person (SAP) or other categories, would require to score more than 45% marks in intermediate.
- Candidates, who come under SC and ST categories, will have to score minimum 40% in intermediate.
- Candidates who are going to appear in 2020 intermediate exam may also apply.
- Aspiring candidates will need to submit a proof of qualifying their exam along with the result of the admission. Those who do not produce it; their candidature will be canceled by the National University of Law.
Eligibility Criteria: CLAT 2020 PG
- Candidates, who come under categories like General / OBC / Special Abled Person (SAP) or other categories, will be required to score minimum 55% marks.
- Candidates, who belong to SC and ST categories, will have to score minimum 50% marks.
- Candidates, who are going to appear for their final year of Degree course, may also apply. The candidates would need to submit their qualifying examination result in the prescribed period by the respective NLU.
CLAT 2020 Syllabus
Candidates must go through the syllabus as they start with their preparation or CLAT Syllabus 2020. However, something that all the candidates need to know is that the syllabus for Undergraduate programme and Postgraduate programme are different. Both of the syllabuses are mentioned herein below:
Syllabus for CLAT 2020 Undergraduate Programme
|English: Grammar and Comprehension||Through this section, the grammar and proficiency in English of the candidates are judged. There will be two sections – Grammar and Comprehension.|
|Legal Aptitude||In this section, the interest of the candidates towards law and problem-solving ability is tested. Candidates will have to apply legal principles.|
|Mathematics||In this section, candidates will be asked questions from elementary standards. The questions will be from 10th standard examination.|
|Logical Reasoning||In this section, the candidates’ ability to comprehend the pattern as well as the rectification of illogical arguments will be examined. Questions on syllogisms, logical sequences, analogies will be asked. There will not be any question on visual reasoning.|
|GK and Current Affairs||The general awareness and knowledge of current affairs of the candidates is tested in this section. Questions related to national and international issues will be asked in this section.|
Syllabus for CLAT 2020 Postgraduate Programme
|Questions from torts, contract, International Law, Criminal law, IPR, etc. will be asked.|
CLAT 2020 Exam Pattern
Like the syllabus, the exam pattern for CLAT 2020 Undergraduate programme is different from the Postgraduate programme. Here both the exam patterns are mentioned below:
CLAT 2020 UG Exam Pattern:
|Total Time available for CLAT 2020 UG||02 Hours|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Type|
|Marks Per Question||01|
|Total Number of Questions||150|
Negative Marking: For each wrong answer, 0.25 marks will be deducted. The question paper’s weightage will be as below:
|English including comprehension||40|
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||50|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20|
CLAT 2020 PG Exam Pattern
|Time Duration for CLAT PG||02 Hours|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Type|
|Marks Per Question||1|
|Total Number of Questions||150|
Negative Marking: 0.25 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer. Mentioned below is the weightage of the question paper.
|Other Law Subjects such as Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.||50|
Recommended Books for CLAT 2020
|CLAT 2020 Important Books||Name of the Author|
|Wren and Martin – English Grammar And Composition||DV Prasada Rao|
|Word Power Made Easy||Normal Newis|
|10 Year CLAT Solved Papers||Disha Experts|
|Legal Aptitude for the CLAT and Examination||Bhardwaj|
|General Knowledge 2020||Manohar Pandey|
|NCERT Class 10th TextBook||NCERT|
|Logical Reasoning (CLAT)||RK Gupta|
CLAT 2020 Admit Card
Candidates will be able to download their admit card from the official site of CLAT from 1st week of May 2020 till exam date. To access the admit card, candidates will have to login by entering the Registration Number and Password. Candidates must read the instructions mentioned on the admit card. They must note that the admit card will not be sent to them by post.
CLAT 2020 Answer Key
The CLAT 2020 answer key will be released in the official website on 25th May 2020. The candidates will be able to find their rough score by comparing their answers marked in the exam with the answer key. In order to challenge the answer key, candidates will have to log into the site. After the challenge is submitted, the authorities will verify it and accordingly the change will be done. Candidates must note that this will be a provisional answer key; the final answer key will be uploaded in the official site before the results are announced.
CLAT 2020 Cutoff
|NLUs||Last Year’s CLAT Cut Off||Closing Rank of CLAT|
|West Bengal National University of Judicial Sciences||213||7556|
|National Law School of India University||59||1779|
|Hidayatullah National Law University||574||29835|
|Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University||627||28216|
|Chanakya National Law University||909||16614|
|National Law University Odisha||1023||15734|
|National Law University and Judicial Academy||1124||17322|
|Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University||1180||38156|
|Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur||1126||39573|
|National Academy of Legal Studies and Research||130||5098|
|National Law University Jodhpur||343||8051|
|Gujarat National Law University||453||10585|
|National Law Institute University||351||17348|
|Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law||801||12580|
|National University of Advanced Legal Studies||826||24087|
|National University of Study and Research in Law||1051||28174|
|Tamil Nadu National Law School||1151||25604|
|Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai||478||17294|
CLAT 2020 Result
Candidates will be able to check their result by entering their Registration number and password in the result section in the official site of CLAT 2020. The result will include the score of the candidate. The merit list will be prepared on the basis of the scores of the candidates. If two or more candidates obtain the same marks, tie-breaking method will be used in that case.
CLAT 2020 UG Tie Breaking Method
- The candidate who secures high marks in component/section of legal aptitude will be provided the higher rank.
- If the tie still does not break then the candidate with higher age will be chosen.
- The last method to break the tie would be the computerized draw of lots.
CLAT 2020 PG Tie Breaking Method
- The candidate of higher age will be provided preference.
- The last method will be the computerized draw of lots.
CLAT 2020 Counselling
The online counselling will be conducted by the CLAT office. Candidates, who qualify the CLAT 2020, will be called for the counselling process. The counselling process will be held after the announcement of the result. On the basis of the CLAT score, the seats will be allotted.
|CLAT 2020 Counselling||Important Dates|
|1st seat allocation list based on merit-cum-preference||10th Jun 2020|
|Payment of counselling fee (Rs. 50000) can be done from||10th Jun 2020|
|2nd seat allocation list after the payment of counselling fee||14th Jun 2020|
|Payment of counselling fee (Rs. 50000) by those candidates whose name appeared for the first time in 2nd allotment list||3rd week of Jun 2020|
|The date for booking allotted seats after exercising of the option for withdrawing from the admission process against the second allotment list would be in||3rd week of Jun 2020|
|The last date to withdraw from admission||3rd week of Jun 2020|
|3rd seat allotment list will be released on||Last week of June 2020|
|Payment of fee by those candidates, who were included in 3rd allotment list and were not included in the list before||last week of Jun 2020|
|Candidates will have to complete the admission formalities at the allotted NLUs between||Last week of Jun 2020|
|NLU will provide the admission status at CLAT office in the||1st week of Jul 2020|
|CLAT admission process will close in the||1st week of Jul 2020|
Participating Institutes of CLAT 2020
The CLAT scores are accepted by the following NLUs:
- NLSIU Bangalore
- MNLU Aurangabad
- NALSAR Hyderabad
- MNLU Nagpur
- NLUJA Assam
- NLIU Bhopal
- NLUO Odisha
- DSNLU Visakhapatnam
- NUSRL Ranchi
- MNLU Mumbai
- WBNUJS Kolkata
- TNNLS Tiruchirappalli
- NLU Jodhpur
- HNLU Raipur
- RGNUL Punjab
- RMLNLU Lucknow
- GNLU Gandhinagar
- NUALS Kochi
- CNLU Patna
The other institutes that accept the scores of CLAT are mentioned herein below:
- Alliance University, Bangalore
- Asian Law College, Noida
- Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- K.N. Modi University, Rajasthan
- Institute of Legal Studies and Research, GLA University, Mathura
- Geeta Institute of Law, Panipat
- IIMT University, Meerut
- ISBR Law College, Bangalore
- GITAM School of Law, Visakhapatnam
- Faculty of Law, Marwadi University, Rajkot
- Indore Institute of Law, Indore
- Amity University, Uttar Pradesh
- Harlal School of Law, Greater Noida
- Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, MJRP Academy of Law, Jaipur
- Jims Engineering Management Technical Campus (JEMTEC) School of Law, Greater Noida
- ICFAI University, Tripura
- Sandip University, Nashik
- Kalinga University, Faculty of Law, Naya Raipur
- NIMT Vidhi Evam Kanoon Sansthan (NIMT Institute of Method and Law), Greater Noida
- Law College Dehradun, Uttaranchal University
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary (SGT) University, Gurugram
- Lloyd Law College, Greater Noida
- Siddhartha Law College, Dehradun
- Xavier University, Bhubaneswar
- Unitedworld School of Law, Karnavati University, Gandhinagar
- Raffles University, Neemrana, Rajasthan
- Maharishi University of Information Technology, Delhi NCR
- Mewar Law Institute, Ghaziabad
- Renaissance Law College, Indore
- Vivekananda Global University, Jaipur
- RNB Global University, Bikaner
- Reva University, Bangalore
- SRM University, Haryana
- The NorthCap University, Gurgaon